I have been enjoying visiting blogs and decided to start my own, even though I don't know what I am doing or if anyone will even be interested in reading what I have to say. I am a 50 year old management consultant who has been married to the the love of my life for 30 years and have two grown daughters and a son-in-law who we are very proud of. We are blessed to live in Scottsdale Arizona and are enjoying getting out and experiencing it in our RV! Thanks for stopping by our blog and please consider joining us, who knows where we will go...Kevin & Tracy.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Read The Fine Print!

We will be picking up our new toy this weekend and one thing that I noticed immediately is that it will need tires.  The current tires have a 2005 date code, so I know that it is time for a new set.  

Big O Tires has been advertising Buy 2, Get 2 Free this weekend all over the radio.  So I gave them a call and was told that it was only on select tires, did not include mounting, balancing and road hazard and required an alignment for $69.  

I thought the alignment would not be a bad idea, but my choice of tires were limited to three, which ranged from $129 - $159 each.  The first two were made in China and the Cooper Tire, which was the only one of the three I would consider was $159 each.  The total out the door would be close to $600.

So I called Discount Tire, where I usually do business and they had better tires and their out the door price was around $450, so much for the great Buy 2, Get 2 Free Sale.

It always amazes me when businesses insist on taking advantage of their customers, especially in this world of more educated and cost conscious buyers.  Needless to say, Discount will get my business and I know there won't be any fine print!

Hope your week has been great and that your weekend will even be better.  Take care, thanks for the visit and be careful out there!

7 comments:

  1. Definitely pays to shop around like that old song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes all these great promotions are not always as good as they say. Pays to shop around and read the fine print too. Good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the saying goes, "It pays to shop around".
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, there's never any 'free' is there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Discount now balance and align? I thought they didn't do that. But they just built a new one here and they seem to have more equipment than before. I just bought new tires and had an oil change $678. I wanted to choke. haha.
    As for Pep Boys I won't ever shop there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO - Unfortunately no alignment services at Discount Tire. They made a decision many years ago to only focus on tires and they have never changed.

      Delete
  6. I wonder how many people fall for that gimmick without bothering to check and see if 'free' is all that free after all.

    Sounds to me like you got a good deal at the other place.

    ReplyDelete