I have been enjoying visiting blogs and decided to start my own, even though I don't know what I am doing or if anyone will even be interested in reading what I have to say. I am a 50 year old management consultant who has been married to the the love of my life for 30 years and have two grown daughters and a son-in-law who we are very proud of. We are blessed to live in Scottsdale Arizona and are enjoying getting out and experiencing it in our RV! Thanks for stopping by our blog and please consider joining us, who knows where we will go...Kevin & Tracy.

Friday, August 10, 2012

When Is Enough, Enough?

Tracy's car, a 2004 Mercury Sable has some demons in the electrical system that we have been battling with for years. I drove the car before Tracy and the problems started then, but disappeared for over a year.

When the car is really acting up, the check brake system alarm and ABS lights come on, the AC stops running, the door locks go up and down and the CD player stops working, sounds like the car is possessed.

We have taken it in more times then I can count and they are never able to get the car to act up, they probably just think we are crazy.

So Tracy and I have been talking about when it is time to cut our losses and get rid of the "Golden Chariot" as she calls it and get something else.  

Yesterday the car wouldn't start when Tracy was leaving work, so I came down and gave it a jump and she was able to drive it home.  I called the dealership that we use and told them the battery appeared to be dead and we would bring it in Friday morning.  I then went out and was able to start the car ten times in a row without even a slight hesitation. 

When we got the car to the dealership, they tested it and of course, found nothing wrong.  They did say that they suspected the super junction box to be the problem and would have to order the part and could have it installed and ready by Monday, for a mere $784.

With Sarah still in school, we hate to use our financial reserves and going into debt is just not an option, but when do we stop throwing good money away to fix a problem that may not be fixable? 

We decided to go with the repair and give it one more chance.  We firmly decided that if this doesn't work, we will be in the market for another car. Of course as soon as the weather cools down a little, Tracy could ride her bike the half mile to work everyday and get some good cardio exercise...hey that's an idea.

We should know more on Monday in this mystery of the demon possessed car, hope you have a great weekend planned, enjoy and thanks for stopping by for a visit.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with that possessed car , does look like time to soon get a another one thou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a car like that when I was about Tracy's age. I hated that car and it hated me. It would behave for everyone else but it wouldn't start for me. Way back then I only paid $100 for the thing but that was a lot of money to me. I took the thing back to where I bought it and walked off and left it there. Never wanted to see it again. Hope the "fix" works for you guys.

    ReplyDelete